Acoustic PhD opportunities
The Acoustics Research Centre has a thriving and growing student population studying a doctoral program in subjects such as:
- Acoustic measurements
- Architectural and building acoustics
- Audio engineering
- Computer modelling of sound
- Environmental noise and vibration
- Materials for acoustics
A research degree, such as a doctorate or masters by research, gives you an opportunity to explore an area of acoustics or audio that you find particularly interesting. The research challenge is usually to discover new science through measurement, prediction and developing an in-depth understanding of the subject.
Below is a webinar recording where staff discuss:
- Possible topics for PhDs (but also see suggested PhD Acoustics project titles and descriptions)
- Short interviews with academics on PhD topics they could supervise
- Questions applicants have about studying for research degrees, and also see our FAQ for Applicants.
- Centre University page giving more practical information about a PhD, MPhil or Master by Research in Acoustics and Audio Engineering, including start dates, entry requirements, fees etc.
Next steps towards a doctorate or other research degree in acoustics
- Find out if we carry out research in areas of acoustics, audio, vibration and noise engineering that interest you by browsing these pages or looking at our publications.
- Email a members of staff who does research in the right area along with a brief CV. If you don’t have a definite funding source, detail what you are doing about this. Please only email one member of staff at a time to avoid us duplicating work.
- If you are unsure who to contact, email the director of the Acoustics Research Centre
- Consult and follow the formal application procedure. This includes details about the information and documents you will need as well as guidance about submitting your application.
Please see our extensive PhD MRes FAQ or comment below.