- The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) uses a variety of firing ranges for the training of their officers.
- There was therefore a requirement under the existing Noise at Work Regulations to determine the noise exposure of both instructors and students when training at on various firing ranges.
- Measurements of sound levels were made alongside the heads of officers and simultaneously under the hearing protection provided.
- The measurements were carried out with the assistance of instructors from the Firearms unit.
- Using the data gathered the number of rounds that can be fired in a day for each weapon was calculated.
- Dr David Waddington
- Dr Geoff Kerry
Police Service of Northern Ireland firing ranges
Police Service of Northern Ireland
Sound levels alongside the heads of officers and simultaneously under the hearing protection when firing
Client Report “Combined Operational Training/Tactical Firearms Unit Noise Exposure” by Geoff Kerry
Dr David Waddington