Salford Postgraduate Annual Research Conference (#SPARC10)

By Jun.11, 2010

Dear all,

just a very quick and short post to update you on the Salford Postgraduate Annual Research Conference (#SPARC10) which we are running here at Salford. I think I can say it has been the best SPARC conference ever! We owe  much of its success to my colleague Victoria Sheppard, who has done a terrific job organising it. So for that alone a big clap! Well done Victoria! 🙂

But there are also the delegates. The atmosphere has been incredible and the research presented very, very interesting. Congratulation to all the PhD students who have decided to present at SPARC this year.

Further, our guest speakers were just inspiring has ever. Prof. Ghassan Aouad, Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research and Innovation), addressed the audience with a talk on real life experiences of supervising PhD students. Slides are available here. (I will try to create a slidecast with the recording of the presentation once I get back from the academic writing school I will be taking part in next week.)

Prof. Paul Haywood, from the School of Art & Design was our dinner guest speaker and gave the most amazing talk about one of his projects: Wearpeace. Sorry if you missed it, it was truly inspiring!

This year the conference dinner was at the Old Trafford. For those who support Manchester United, I am sure it was a great experience. Our tour guides told us very interesting stories and  we were even allowed into the players changing room!  Even for those whom football means very little ( maybe like me…(cough)! 🙂 ) it was still a very fine experience. It was fascinating to listen to Big Alan’s stories, our guide!

In short, Day #1 of SPARC10 was amazing. Day #2 promises to be as interesting!

Finally, I’d just like to remind everybody that we are tagging all the content related to this conference with SPARC10. If you are blogging, tweeting, using flickr or slideshare, etc to upload your slides, pictures, or any other type of content related with this conference please do use the tag (#SPARC10). Also, leave us a link back to your resources on the comment box. It makes it easier for us to aggregate everything after the end.

We have created a slideshare event channel for this event. You are welcome to add your presentations on to it.