How to cultivate a networking culture…?

By Nov.03, 2009

I have been working on a series of mini-documents and practical workshops on how to use web technologies effectively to promote collaboration and disseminate research.
These workshops are mainly targeted at research students and staff, but can easily be transferred and adapted to other audiences.

During the planning phase, and even now as I am developing the content, I keep coming back to the same very issue: how will I be able to get my message across in a way I am able to convey the idea that there is an added value to the use of web technologies and networking, without my coming across as a kind of ‘evangelist’?
Making the content available is important, but being able to develop a culture around the areas we advocate, seems to me, to be more sustainable in the long run. Creating initiatives which will help people experience the power of the network (and networking) for themselves is, in my opinion, crucial.

I have, therefore, decided I will have to approach my audience in more active and creative ways and try to develop some interesting challenges to get people to experience it for themselves. I will soon be able to unveil some of the ideas. But meanwhile, if you have some you would like to see in practice, do not hesitate to contact me or submit them on to here. I am always open to collaboration! 😉

So here are the topics I have been working on (which, once finished, will be released  to the wider audience under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 so that you can use it as well. Hence, your feedback and suggestions are important!

Here is how far I have come, regarding the themes I am working on:

• Sharing reflections about one’s research topics via blogs
  • Collaborating with other researchers across time and space using Wikis
  • Enhancing one’s Personal Learning Network via Microblogging
  • Contributing to collective intelligence via Social Bookmarking
  • Making one’s research visible via Presentation Sharing

Other related Topics

• (online) Copyright
  • Developing a Research Profile via Social Media
  • Online tools for collaborative writing and work
  • Social Tagging

What do you think? What else should I be looking at? Are there any other ‘hot topics’ I should be focusing on?

As usual, your comments are more than welcome! 😉

6 Comments

6 thoughts on “How to cultivate a networking culture…?

1. 10 years ago  

Hi Cristina,

what I actually meant was more like a “live knowledgebase”. If new doctoral candidates begin research they rely on hints and tipps from senior researchers. I think it would be great to offter them a plattform to ask for hints and tricks. Not only searching through a forum but actually getting in contact with senior researchers. I think that would be one way to engage them in a new network?

2. 10 years ago  

Wonderful initiative. I share your views and am interested in those themes. Looking forward to learn more about your development of those documents and workshops.

John

3. 10 years ago  

Hi Tillman, thanks for your comment.
    Do you mean to also create a session how how to create surveys and use tools available to do that?

Please let me know if that is what you mean…

4. 10 years ago  

I’d suggest some kind of a poll tool. Not only to ask for peoples opinions and doing surveys but also to ask for advice or hints in sources. I think just if you started to do research in your field, you can gain valuable hints from senior researchers in similar fields to avoid road bumps.
    It could be an easy way of getting started in a network, even for people who normally wouldn’t have the guts to engage.

What does your experience say about that?