We welcome applications from prospective PhD students on topics related to our expertise, including:
- Microfinance (e.g. impact, governance, risk management, sustainability)
- Financial exclusion (e.g. use and access financial services, determinants, impact)
- Financial education (e.g. policy, discourse, impact)
- Access to finance for small business (e.g. barriers, impact)
- Fintech (e.g. discourse, impact on exclusion/inclusion, use by microfinance institutions)
We have a track record of successful supervision:
- Gisela Mann (PhD International Politics & Sociology) started July 2016. [Ongoing]
- Victoria Danaan (PhD International Development) started April 2015. Risk management in microfinance : identities, perceptions, behaviours and interests of microfinance stakeholders in Plateau State, Nigeria. Submitted in December 2018 successful viva (minor corrections) and final submission in April 2019
- Juliette Wilson (PhD sociology) started in September 2012. ‘Time Eases all Things’: A Critical Study of How Time Banks Attempt to use Time-Based Currency to Alleviate Social Exclusion. Submitted in September 2015, successful viva (minor corrections) and final submission in October 2015.
- Robert Jeffery (PhD Sociology) started September 2007. Mobility and Inequality in a Transitional Inner-City Neighbourhood. Successful viva (minor corrections) and final submission in July 2011
If you have an idea or draft proposal for a PhD, please contact Dr Pål Vik to discuss (firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)161 295 2841).