Salford Languages Research Group
The Salford Languages Research Group has particular expertise in the applied use of European languages in academic, professional and cultural contexts, and it also possesses expertise within Arabic translation and interpreting. Its members have participated in the National Centre of Languages Steering Group to review the National Standards in Translation; obtained external research funding from the AHRC; and possess specialized professional experience in environments ranging from the Jordan News Agency to European Works Councils. The Research Group members have been invited to give presentations at a range of institutions including the Université Rennes 2, The University of Stirling, and the Institute of Germanic and Romance Studies, London. Members of the group specialize in – and have published extensively in – interdisciplinary, real-world research areas focusing on language and contemporary society.
- Arabic language, translation, interpreting; Arabic-English legal translation; interpreting pedagogy.
- French language, translation, and interpreting studies; North American French; public service interpreting, new technologies in interpreter-mediated court hearings; sociological paradigms in interpreting studies.
- German language and conference interpreting; non-verbal communication in conference interpreting.
- Italian language, translation, media, culture.
- Spanish language and translation; translation pedagogy.
- Lexicography; semantic web terminology.
The Research Group welcomes proposals for collaborative research projects and initiatives from professional bodies and academic institutions. It is not currently accepting new PhD students.
|Mr Jérôme Devaux, M.A.||French language, interpreting, public service interpreting||J.Devaux@salford.ac.uk|
|Dr Ahmed Elgindy||Arabic language, translation||A.Elgindy@salford.ac.uk|
|Ms. Maria Jesus Fernandez Prieto||Spanish language and translation; translation pedagogy; firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr William Hope||Italian language, translation and media||W.Hope@salford.ac.uk|
|Ms. Vanessa John, M.A.||German language and conference interpreting||V.I.John@salford.ac.uk|
|Dr Kim Langtree||French language, translation||S.K.Langtree@salford.ac.uk|
|Dr Orieb Masadeh-Tate||Arabic language, translation, interpreting||O.Masadeh-Tate@salford.ac.uk|
Dr William Hope
Room 805, Maxwell Building
The University of Salford,
Salford M5 4WT.
t: 0161 295 4914